Yield: 2 loaves
- 6 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ½ c warm water
- 2 c turbinado sugar (or light brown sugar)
- ½ c oil
- ½ c applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 to 2½ c grated zucchini (~3 medium-sized ones)
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c chocolate chips or raisins, optional
- Grease two loaf pans.
- Mix together flax seeds and warm water.
- Add sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
- Add grated zucchini; stir til combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together remaining dry ingredients.
- Add dry mixture to wet and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and everything is incorporated evenly; some lumps are fine. If adding additional mix-ins, fold them in now. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before slicing.
(Courtesy of http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan–zucchini-bread/)
Vegan Zucchini Bread
Did you know that zucchini is also really healthy for you?
- High in vitamins K and Potassium
- Glycemic Index of 0
- Low in calories (about 17 calories per 100 grams)
- No fat and cholesterol
- The skin contains dietary fiber
Ingredients for Vegan Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional: ground ginger)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane sugar
- 1/4 cup virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
**For added flavor and crunch stir in toasted walnuts along with the 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs.
(Courtesy of http://turtlewoman.hubpages.com/hub/Vegan–Zucchini-Bread )